We were off to a great start in 2011 with our first program focusing on legal issues of exporting.
WTC member Louis Dejoie, Chair of the International Law Practice Group with McNees, Wallace and Nurick LLC presented the executive overview. Here is a summary of key topics:
§ EXPORT SALE BASICS
- legal framework of sales contracts
§ USE OF FOREIGN INTERMEDIARIES
- issues to consider regarding intermediary relationships, including those of agents, distributors and employees stationed in a foreign country such as labor laws, termination laws, registration and antitrust laws
- due diligence when choosing an intermediary
- Know Your Partner!!!
§ IP PROTECTION
- patents, trademarks and copyright issues
§ COMPLIANCE PROGRAMS
- Importance of having formal written policies and procedures
- Appoint an Export Compliance Officer
- EAR, ITAC and OFAC